New to rotors

Find out how to join Rotary Enthusiasts of the ACT and general information.

Moderator: Moderators

Topic author
LoveB
Mild Port

New to rotors

Postby LoveB » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:48 pm

hey all, my name is paul... I've moved from overseas and have had japanese cars of all sorts but we never really had a rotary scene so I'm after my first rotor :)

ive got a few land rover projects on the go but I need to get back into the track or do some hillclimbs!

was orignally looking at a 12a BP sa22 which I thought wuold be fun for cruising around but probably not on the track (i think the body is too good to risk doing something awful to!!)

so I'm deciding between an S4 with half bridge 13bt or S2 12AT extend port.

For hill climb purposes what would you suggest? the S4 is reg's one which is posted up here. The S2 is deans old one (not sure of his username on here)

the S2 isnt listed up online. I just know the current owner. he hasnt registered it since 2010 so I'm wondering if that should worry me whereas regs one has rego and all that.

singallant
Overlord

Re: New to rotors

Postby singallant » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi Paul, welcome.

If you're actually keen to go racing (or at least, driving on the track) the S4 is probably the go - IRS is a great thing, as is 4-pot front brakes. Dean's old s2 (I'm thinking of the yellow one) is a neat little car with plenty of grunt, but I expect would be quite a handful around a little hillclimb track. I only had one ride in it though, so maybe I'm misremembering how it drove.

With rego: You will have to take the s2 over the pits at the Dickson (the road user services center), and they're quite picky about paperwork. The 12AT may need re-engineering (but might be OK if you can get a copy of the original certificate).
The s4 should be ok to just go to your local mechanic for a check to transfer rego.
REACT Secretary
Jap luxo: '90 Eunos Cosmo, 20btt.
Jap muscle: '76 929 2-door hardtop, 1GGZE.
US muscle: '68 Impala 4-door hardtop, 327.

Topic author
LoveB
Mild Port

Postby LoveB » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:07 pm

just to add to the confusion, the original one i wanted (bens white SA22) is within reach for me again. so i'm thinking of buying that as a cruiser for a while. but would like to get into hill climbs at a later stage (prboably regs S4).

Would it be a bad idea for a first timer to jump straight into a BP?? it just ticks all the boxes!

With the yellow S2 I'm just worried about the hoops I may have to go around to get act reg on it. Otherwise I'll have to put on NSW reg on. and yes, it is indeed the yellow one. I spoke to him and he confirmed it was the one.

but yes, all in all i was told s4 is the way to go for in terms of drivability on the race track.

i suppose at the moment I wont get TOO serious with the racing. so the s2 bridgy would be fun for the time being. then when i need to sell I'll try and get into an s4 to get more serious..

Toddski
REACT CLUB MEMBER

Postby Toddski » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 pm

That's a tough call. Love my S1 hillclimber - but seriously looking at Reg's S4 as there is so much more performance gear available for the 2nd gen - and it has rack and pinion, IRS and decent brakes. Main advantage of the first gen is a lot less weight to throw around and easier to get the weight out of it.
79 Series 1 RX7 - 13b BP N/A
Low(ish) budget track hack - hates trees
SDMA Hillclimb: 47.03 - Class record holder for Type 3 2001-3000cc (with 13B PP)

singallant
Overlord

Postby singallant » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:31 am

Ben's white car is a neat little thing. It's not super quick, but it's been well looked after, which makes a big difference.

I've never owned a BP, but no, owning one as a first time is not a bad idea. It'll only take you 2 minutes to get used to how it behaves at low revs.

Toddski is on the money with s4 steering, suspension and brakes. Mazda poured a huge chunk of cash into the development of the s4/5 and they're a good thing. But let's be honest, they're not pretty cars.

So, if you want a cool car to cruise in, the s2 is the one. If you want to go fast, get the s4.
REACT Secretary

Topic author
LoveB
Mild Port

Postby LoveB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks!

for the time being, I think I will go for S2 BP. then when I need a more 'civilized' car that I can do proper hillcimbs in I'll get an S4.

The s1/2's at the hill climb seemed to go well though!!

in a perfect world I'd have bought both!!

Topic author
LoveB
Mild Port

Postby LoveB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 am

forgot to add, ben was very nice enough to let me take his sa22 for the day a while back. its not hard to drive i reckon. growing up overseas we used to use our race cars to get to school :drive: :lol:

singallant
Overlord

Postby singallant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:07 pm

Good stuff Paul. If you get yourself together, I think we're planning a quick cruise out to Braidwood in the future (no date set, and my car is in pieces at the moment!), and it'd be great to meet you.
REACT Secretary

Topic author
LoveB
Mild Port

Postby LoveB » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:35 pm

bit the bullet last night and picked up bens s2. took it to work today despite cold rainy weather. was fun! lol

singallant
Overlord

Postby singallant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Awesome. Look forward to seeing you in it!
REACT Secretary

John Cuthbert
President

Postby John Cuthbert » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Good on ya!
REACT President

Return to “REACT Enquiries”