NOOB and (hopefully) a quick question ...

Find out how to join Rotary Enthusiasts of the ACT and general information.

Moderator: Moderators

Topic author
justbrett
Stock Port

NOOB and (hopefully) a quick question ...

Postby justbrett » Sun May 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi All

I'm contemplating the purchase of a S1-3 Rx7 and 13BT'ing it.

Thing is, I'm having trouble working out whether or not I need to go for a S3 weight-wise or are they allowing the 13BT swap for S1's and 2's under the new regs? Can anyone shed some light on this for me, please?? Cheers.

Brett

Boosted2
Bridge Port

Postby Boosted2 » Sun May 13, 2007 11:11 pm

You can do a 13bt conversion in any first gen Rx7 aslong as you do the usual-ie brakes ect.

Rego class em as 1020kgs.
Lets Cruise people!
12at 305.7kw at 18psi=409 hp

Topic author
justbrett
Stock Port

Postby justbrett » Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 pm

Great news :D , thanks Boosted2.

Mark Neal
Treasurer

Postby Mark Neal » Sun May 13, 2007 11:44 pm

When you do the sums you might also find that it is cheaper to find one that is already done rather than do one from scratch.

Adam Davey
Turbo Peripheral Port

Postby Adam Davey » Mon May 14, 2007 12:06 am

Mark Neal wrote:When you do the sums you might also find that it is cheaper to find one that is already done rather than do one from scratch.

This is a good point. But, it isn't quite the same as spending thousands making one that you can call 'your own' :wink:

There is an absolute bargain Series 3 one of our members is selling (although everyone is twisting his arm not to sell). It's a 12AT but just rebuild by a local workshop and has had a small fortune spent on it recently - you'll get it for roughly half what you'll spend converting your own (and most of the stuff on this car is brand new). PM 'Ozphoenix' for details if you are interested. Note: in no way take this as a 'hard sell', just a heads up on a bargain!

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Hope we see you cruizin in a rotary soon :D

Topic author
justbrett
Stock Port

Postby justbrett » Mon May 14, 2007 12:16 am

Cheers for the advice guys, still a few decisions to make but yeah, the rotor makes a lot of sense when it comes to bang-for-buck from a small displacement motor.

I had other plans that involved a Capri and a 220kw AU3 motor. I have both sitting in my shed but with the new regs (mongrels), either the car or the motor has to go, or both. Dunno yet!! :?

Mark Neal
Treasurer

Postby Mark Neal » Mon May 14, 2007 12:19 am

justbrett wrote:I had other plans that involved a Capri and a 220kw AU3 motor. I have both sitting in my shed but with the new regs (mongrels), either the car or the motor has to go, or both. Dunno yet!! :?

How about something like a TC Cortina instead? Do they fit into the sums?

Topic author
justbrett
Stock Port

Postby justbrett » Mon May 14, 2007 12:35 am

Sums would work, aesthetics wouldn't, for me anyway!

Besides which, I've just turbo'd my daily and it's fun, would like to play around with them a bit more :D

OzPhoenix
Turbo Peripheral Port

Postby OzPhoenix » Mon May 14, 2007 12:34 pm

Hey JustBrett,

I'm the guy that Adam Davey was talking about. If you want a car that's already setup and done nicely, why not consider mine. Fully engineered, strong as, and with local workshop backing for pretty much the whole drive train now. ;)

See a link to the ad in my sig.

Cheers,
Oz.
no rota to see here ppl, move along.

G-101
J Port

Postby G-101 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:07 pm

What sort of Capri you got mate?
Craig Hall Mechanical & Suspension - Suspension for React members at discount prices - A.C.T Distributor for Quadrant Bilstein.

www.craighallmechanical.com.au

Topic author
justbrett
Stock Port

Postby justbrett » Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Thanks Oz, I'm looking for this project to take up some of my idle time so while yes I understand it's cheaper in most instances to buy something built, that's not the angle I'm chasing. Sweet ride by the way :D

G, it's a early 70's 1600 automatic in desperate need of motorvation. The 5 litre was a good plan till the regs were changed.

G-101
J Port

Postby G-101 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:53 pm

Damn so you can't put a v8 in them anymore? :x
Craig Hall Mechanical & Suspension - Suspension for React members at discount prices - A.C.T Distributor for Quadrant Bilstein.

www.craighallmechanical.com.au

Mark Neal
Treasurer

Postby Mark Neal » Tue May 15, 2007 12:24 am

G-101 wrote:Damn so you can't put a v8 in them anymore? :x

Am not entirely sure it was actually legal in most places to start with. Though, if the trading post and magazines are anything to go by, apparently a Windsor and a 9" are stock standard fitment in Sydney :lol:
A 6cyl turbo from a BA in one would scare and own all. If Nizpro can get 10s from a Territory with their upgraded 6cyl turbo pack, imagine what a much lighter car could do, and when run off boost it would probably be quite nice to drive.

Topic author
justbrett
Stock Port

Postby justbrett » Tue May 15, 2007 10:06 am

Unfortunately no, they need to crack 1100kg to take a 5 litre, heaviest ever offered was 1080kg :cry:

OzPhoenix
Turbo Peripheral Port

Postby OzPhoenix » Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 am

justbrett wrote:Thanks Oz, I'm looking for this project to take up some of my idle time so while yes I understand it's cheaper in most instances to buy something built, that's not the angle I'm chasing. Sweet ride by the way :D

Cheers mate, I've gotcha. I can understand the idea of having a bit of a project to idle away on. Good luck with it, hope it comes up a treat for you. ;)
no rota to see here ppl, move along.

Return to “REACT Enquiries”